MAUMEE, OHIO – Do you prefer earthy, muted colors? Then an Arts & Crafts style home may be in your future. But, if you gravitate more to brighter floral colors, then a Country/Cottage style home could be a good choice for you. Those are just some insights from national color expert Kate Smith with Sensational Color.
"Selecting a home style ties in mentally with the colors a person feels most comfortable around," says Smith, chief color maven at Sensational Color. "For both the interior and exterior of a home, colors help energize us, relax us and set the tone for our lifestyles.
"For example, vibrant colors are typically used inside a Mediterranean style home, where you'll find walls painted sun-drenched shades of gold, orange or terra cotta. Polyurethane trim pieces, like those from Fypon, can be painted or stained in an accent color to help set the home's overall mood."
To help guide homeowners with selecting the appropriate colors to accent home styles, Smith offers this selection of insights:
Arts & Crafts Style Homes -
- Exteriors: Muted earth tones, such as Cherokee Red or Monkey Madness from PPG PaintsTM, can be used for the home exterior. Accent with beams and brackets stained or painted in soft tones of gray, beige or green. Columns and porch accents may be in colors such as Earth Day or Precious Stone from California® Paint.
- Interiors: Light, harmonious colors inspired by nature can be used on walls. Examples include Ruskin Room Green, Roycroft Rose or Portrait Tone from Sherwin-Williams®. Polyurethane woodgrain mouldings, ceiling beams and millwork pieces stained in Natural Oak or Mahogany in the Same-Day® Stain collection, are the perfect accent to Arts & Crafts style home interiors.
Mediterranean Style Homes -
- Exteriors: Light colors that reflect intense sunlight with splashes of color as accents rule this architectural style. Warm whites, gray, sand or golden tones are best on this exterior when accented by a terra cotta colored roof with tile vents, columns and door and window surround trim in Toasted Marshmallow, Goldenrod Tea or Expedition Khaki from Behr®. Woodgrain shutters stained in deep browns, such as walnut, work best with a Mediterranean style home.
- Interiors: Echoing the sky and the sea, colors such as azure, green-blue and sky-blue complement walls in Mediterranean style homes. Woodgrain polyurethane beams on ceilings plus impressive crown mouldings --- both stained in English Walnut or Walnut Same-Day Stain --- are ideal accents for interior rooms.
Country/Cottage Style Homes -
- Exteriors: Starting with a picket fence or porch railing, white (or off-white) plays a big role in the style of Country/Cottage style homes. From louvers to shutters to trim, crisp white details on smooth polyurethane millwork pieces stand out to darker colors on the home or potentially a stone exterior. Some charming cottage exteriors can also be found painted seashell pink, sunrise gold or even periwinkle blue!
- Interiors: Well-crafted, practical moulding and trim details add a feeling of comfort to this informal style home. While wood floors add warmth and texture, crisp white accent baseboards, window sills and crown mouldings can be found to contrast walls painted any color from soft pastels to deep rich hues.
Classic Style Homes -
- Exteriors: For Georgian and Federal style homes with symmetrically-spaced windows, doors and porches, muted neutral colors with dark accents, white trim and color on the front door are preferred. Neutral Hazelnut Cream or Moon Rise colors for the home exterior and columns highlighted by a deeper Thorny Branch or Black Suede (all from Behr) on synthetic louvered shutters or the entry door would all be typical for the Classic style home.
- Interiors: Muted wall colors with baseboards, chair rails, crown mouldings and casings all painted white is most common for Classic style homes. The elegant and crisp white accents, whether as wall panels or interior door surrounds, highlights walls of Basketry, Silver Leaf or Chateau from Behr.
Today's Traditional Style Homes -
- Exteriors: A variety of textures and materials are incorporated on the exterior of Today's Traditional style homes. The main body colors most commonly range from light to deep classic neutrals, such as grays, beiges and taupes. The "pop" of color --- such as fire engine red, pumpkin orange or bluebonnet blue --- usually comes on the front door and shutters. Smooth trim pieces, such as polyurethane rail systems, door crossheads and columns, are generally painted a crisp white.
- Interiors: These contemporary interiors can range from stark white walls to bold hues that create relaxing, sophisticated living spaces. While millwork is generally smooth and white, it's not boring. Unique elements can be seen in these homes, such as beams on a kitchen ceiling or a ceiling medallion highlighting a dining room lighting fixture.
Fypon, an industry leader in synthetic millwork products, has created a Style Guide to provide guidance on adding architecturally-accurate polyurethane pieces to the exterior and interior of homes in a variety of styles. The Style Guide includes Classic (including Georgian, Federal and Victorian styles), Arts & Crafts, Mediterranean, Country/Cottage (including Farmhouse and Cape Cod styles) and Today's Traditional home styles. Each section of the guide offers product recommendations so that building industry professionals and homeowners can achieve an accurate replication of the style in the home by adding products, even if the home was not originally created to reflect that style.
Fypon offers more than 2,600 synthetic pieces in the categories of Window & Door Trim, Mouldings, E-Vent™ Systems, Decorative Millwork, Louvers & Gable Vents, Balustrade Systems, and Porch Posts, Columns & Wraps.
Fypon manufactures thousands of decorative millwork elements in a variety of architectural styles to enhance the interior and exterior of homes. Each piece is crafted from tough, weather-resistant, high-performance materials that are resistant to decay, insect infestation and water damage for long-lasting beauty and low maintenance. Part of consumer products company Fortune Brands Home & Security (NYSE: FBHS), Fypon LLC is owned by Therma-Tru Corp. For additional information, call 800-446-3040 or visit www.fypon.com.